Who doesn’t love a holiday cookie swap!? I have been hosting a cookie swap with my girlfriends for…what?…like 7 years now? But since we’ve recently moved to a new city, my girlfriends are all out of town! So it was perfect timing when I heard about The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap that my friend Julie at the little kitchen and Lindsey at Love & Olive Oil were organizing.
I mean…we’re talking about food bloggers all over the U.S. baking cookies and mailing them to each other! Yum!
Now, which cookie to make?! Big decision!
For some reason, this Caramel Apple Oatmeal Cookie from CookingLight.com caught my eye. I don’t even like oatmeal cookies so I can’t explain why they sounded good. But I tried them…and…YUM-MY! Tasted just like a caramel apple and….hello!…only 100 calories per cookie! Score!
- 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup finely chopped dried apple slices
- 3/4 cup caramel bits or 16 small soft caramel candies, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl; stir well.
- Place sugars and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture; beat at low speed until just combined. Fold in apple and caramel bits.
- Drop dough by 2 teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Flatten balls slightly with hand. Bake at 350° for 9 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
The dealio on the swap: Each swapper was matched up with 3 other people. We baked 3 dozen cookies and sent one dozen to each of our matches. So…in return for sending out 3 dozen cookies, I should receive a dozen cookies from 3 different food bloggers. Awesome!
The first dozen I received were spiral cookies, flavored with mint, chocolate, and cinnamon. Beautiful and tasty! They came from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks. Thanks, Heather!
The second batch of cookies was called Pumpkin Mini-Bites by Brooke at Waiting To Rise. My favorite holiday flavors are pumpkin, ginger, nutmeg, and molasses so these cookies (where the only ingredients are a box of spice cake mix and pumpkin puree) are right up my alley! Thanks, Brooke! LOVE them!
And my third batch? Still waiting for them to arrive… But 2 out of 3 sounds great to me!
And these are the food bloggers who received my cookies:
If you’d like to be a part of the swap next year, check out the following sites:
UPDATE: The “roundups” of all 600+ recipes in the swap are now live!