Here’s another fun party we came across while going through old cake photos. Back in June, we created a full spread for Raigan’s 1st birthday.
We are proud supporters of Icing Smiles, a nonprofit organization that provides custom celebration cakes and other treats to families impacted by the critical illness of a child. Basically, a family applies to receive a special celebration cake, and bakers volunteer to do the cake for FREE! It’s really an amazing program – especially considering how many bakers willingly devote their time and resources to make others smile.
We have had the opportunity to bake 2 cakes for Icing Smiles and the most recent one was for an Hungry Caterpillar party. Fun! The family asked for vanilla cake with strawberry cream filling, but left the design completely up to us. Here’s what we created for baby Eleanor who was turning 1:
Last year, we made Eva’s 1st birthday cake with zebra print and whimsical, brightly colored flowers. So we knew when Eva’s Mom contacted us for her 2nd birthday cake, it would be another fun one!
This year, they wanted a cake that centered around the Yo Gabba Gabba TV show on Nick Jr. Mel watched a few episodes for “research.” That is one silly, off-the-wall show…
This is the cake Mel and Eva’s Mom designed together: Continue reading
Before Melanie went on maternity leave, she created a 1st birthday cake for a sweet girl named Amelie. Her mom asked that Mel design the cake around her favorite stuffed animal – a cat!
At Ph.D.-serts, we take our cakes seriously – especially wedding cakes! When you contact us about our wedding cakes, here’s the process we go through:
1. We sit down with the bride and groom to design your wedding cake from the inside out. This means, we bring cake & filling samples – yay! And we pick your brain to find out what kind of style, mood, theme describes you and your wedding. By the time we finish our initial meeting, you will leave with a fully designed wedding cake.
2. We sketch out the cake and send the sketch and wedding cake order form to you for review. You can review it on your own time and discuss the details, without the pressure of us sitting there next to you.
3. You return a signed copy of the order form with a $100 deposit to hold the date of your big day.
4. Two weeks before your wedding, we’ll contact you again to make sure you still like the cake we’ve designed. We also get a final head-count to ensure that you’ll have enough cake to feed everyone at the reception. At this time, the remaining balance of your cake is due.
5. The week of the wedding, we get to work creating your dream cake! We work with your reception venue to set up a delivery time and deliver the cake before any of your guests arrive. We will leave the cake table “picture ready” so that is the last thing you have to worry about!
Today, we’re going to take a trip back in time. This is a retro cake we made in October so let’s take a walk down memory lane while the birthday girl remembers the fun of her youth!
Shannon asked us to make a mod, retro cake from the 1960s for her 50th birthday party. She was going all out and even asked the guests to arrive in costume! The ultimate flashback party!
We designed the cake with Shannon by using components she’d seen on other cakes and patterns taken off her party decor.
Camryn decided to celebrate her 5th birthday with a Garden Tea Party so we created a girly, elegant cake for her. The cake was iced in light blue buttercream with buttercream grass, leaves & stems. The flowers themselves were made of fondant, and we topped the whole thing with a miniature edible tea set.
Happy 5th Birthday, Camryn!
We’ve been a little quiet on the blog lately because September and October are big months for us! But right in the middle of September, Mel’s baby girl turned 1 so we have to share a few photos.
We went with a rainbow themed party because color makes Mel happy, and Mikaela isn’t old enough to express any opinions yet. Although, we’re pretty sure she enjoyed herself. *wink*
Here’s the cake table set-up with Mikaela’s personalized birthday banner, cookie favors, goodie bags, and of course the cake!