For my entry into Iron Cupcake: Earth, I wanted something that my husband and I would both love. He loves mojitos and we both love chocolate so I thought – what could be better than a chocolate mojito?!?! When I told him about the idea, he was skeptical (to put it lightly) but after tasting the cupcake, I had definitely won him over! It’s a refreshing chocolate cupcake with hints of lime and mint, topped with a lime- and rum-flavored frosting. Try it yourself – it’s the perfect dessert for dinner parties, Girls’ Night Out, bridal showers, etc! It tastes just like a mojito – it’ll blow your mind!
Chocolate Mojito Cupcake Recipe
4 oz. semisweet chocolate
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
2 c. packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. dark rum
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
zest of 1 lime
1/2 c. milk
2 t. mint, chopped finely
1 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, at room temperature
zest of 1/2 lime
1/2 shot of rum
1. Melt chocolates in microwave and let cool.
2. Beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Stir in melted chocolate, lime juice, and dark rum.
3. Meanwhile, heat milk and mint in a small saucpan over medium-low to medium heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Allow to steep 5 minutes. Drain milk, and add more cold milk if necessary to bring total volume up to 1/2 cup.
4. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and lime zest. Add to butter mixture alternately with mint-infused milk. Stir in 1 c. boiling water.
5. Pour into greased or paper cup-lined muffin pans and bake at 350oF for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few crumbs.
6. Allow the cupcakes to cool 1 minute in pans and then cool completely on wire racks. When cupcakes are completely cool, top with frosting and serve. (To make the icing, blend all ingredients on low to medium speed until smooth.)
Notes: I was a little conservative with the rum in my icing. You could easily increase the amount of rum in the icing to one full shot, or even more, if you feel adventurous!
Voting will take place December 29th through January 2nd at No One Puts a Cupcake in a Corner.